Friday, 7 March 2014

Twitter-inspired Dance

Infinite Reach, IJAD Dance Company, The Vaults - reviewed on 5th March
    
Photo: Barry McDonald
For IJAD's In-Finite Space, the audience is given written instructions: explore the surroundings and then tweet about a favourite physical, emotional or virtual space.
     
Perhaps I took things too literally when I typed of being snuggled up beneath the duvet. The tweets projected into the performance area were more metaphorical (and saccharine), for example "the eternity between my mother's arms". They supposedly affected the dancers' movements – interestingly making the audience the work’s co-choreographers – though I could see no evident link.
   
IJAD’s dancers gave an energetic and committed performance, but I was underwhelmed by this show’s concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment